Youth Homelessness Demonstration Program (YHDP)
The Youth Homelessness Demonstration Program (YHDP) was launched in November 2018 and is a 2 year grant from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). The program provides new youth specific homeless response resources including youth navigators, diversion and rapid exit funds, crisis housing, rapid re-housing, and provider training and technical assistance. YHDP is helping CT reach the goal of ending youth homelessness by 2020. For more specific details, read the YHDP program announcement or Governor Malloy’s press release.
- Youth Navigators
Youth Navigators conduct Coordinated Access Network (CAN) intake assessments, provide case management, and work with youth to remove barriers to secure safe and viable housing opportunities.
- Youth Shelter Diversion & Rapid Exit Fund
Agencies with MOUs for this fund can access the Provider Portal to access Smart Sheets to submit requests, view MOUs, and Smart Sheets trainings.
- Youth Rapid Re-Housing
Rapid Re-housing (RRH) is an evidence-based approach to end homelessness as quickly as possible for families and individuals.
- Youth Rapid Re-Housing Learning Collaborative
Open to all youth Rapid Re-Housing providers, regardless of YHDP funding. Contact email@example.com to be added to the list.
- Youth Coordinated Entry Learning Collaborative
Open to all Youth Navigators, youth coordinated entry staff, and youth crisis housing providers in Connecticut, regardless of YHDP funding. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the list.
Forms, Policies, Resources & Tools:
- Youth and Young Adults Experiencing Homelessness and Adult Education Options
Guidance from State of Connecticut Department of Education on education options and resources for youth and young adults experiencing homelessness.
- YHDP HMIS Forms (cthmis.org)
- Youth SPDAT Tool
A housing focused youth case management tool. Also used if the youth needs a higher level of services. Especially helpful for youth RRH providers.
- Housing Stabilization Plan (For Youth Navigators/Diversion/Rapid Exit)
- Housing Quality Standards (HQS) Inspection Form (HUD)
- Homelessness Verification Form (YHDP Specific)
- Due Diligence – Refusal of Services Policy
- YHDP Rapid Re-Housing Forms
The YHDP Youth Rapid Re-Housing program has specific forms from the Department of Housing (DOH) that may differ from the regular DOH Rapid Re-Housing program. The final file is currently under development. Contact email@example.com to get the most recent forms in the interim.
– YHDP RRH Rent Calculation Tool
– YHDP RRH Sample Tenant Financial Assistance Letter
- CT Balance of State Continuum of Care (BOS CoC) Forms & Policies
All YHDP grantees are under the BOS CoC. BOS has their own forms & policies for YHDP programs and will update their website as new items become available. Sign-up for BOS email updates.
- SAMPLE Rent Reasonableness Checklist and Certification form (HUD)
- Utility Allowances
- Environmental Review
- How to Find AMI Income Limits
HUD set income limits that determine eligibility for all YHDP recipients. Directions: Click on the correct year, then Access Individual Income Limits Areas button. Select CT and the city for your client’s housing. Use the County Calculations to find the Median Family Income (MFI). Client income cannot exceed 50% of the Average Median Income (AMI), or the MFI on this page, to receive YHDP funding.
- Upcoming CCEH Trainings Calendar (including Diversion)
- CCEH Recorded Webinars
- CT BOS YHDP Compliance Training Slides – 2/5/19
- YHDP Youth RRH Program Training Slides – 1/9/19
- CT BOS YHDP Compliance Training Slides – 11/27/18
- YHDP Kick-Off Training Presentation – 11/13/18
- YHDP Crisis Housing Training Presentation – 11/13/18
- YHDP Youth Navigator Training Presentation – 11/19/18
- HMIS – YHDP Program Enrollment and Exit Training (Nutmeg)
- Lead-Based Paint Visual Assessment Training (HUD)
- Youth Outreach Webinar (CCEH)
- Youth Collaboratory (formerly MANY) YHDP Learning Collaborative Sessions
National YHDP Resources:
- YHDP Community Resources (HUD Exchange)
- Youth Engagement Team Initiatives (YETIs)
- Young Adult Coordinated Entry
- Rapid Re-Housing
- STRIVE Mediation
- Connecticut Young Adult Services
- Youth Resources
- Shelter Diversion
- Transitional Housing
- LGBTQ Youth
- Housing First
- Shared Housing
- Safely Doubled Up
- Employment Resources
- Trauma Informed Care
- Positive Youth Development (Family & Youth Services Bureau)
- Adolescent Brain Development
- Next Step Tool
- Case Management (Homeless Hub)
- Governor’s Challenge Landlord Recruitment Letter Template (.docx)
- Benchmarks to End Youth Homelessness (USICH)
- Resources for Homeless Youth Service Providers (HUD Exchange)