“If more Americans shared housing, it could virtually end homelessness.” (Ellen & O’Flaherty, 2002)
Shared housing is any situation in which an agreement formalizes the co-residence of two or more family units within the same housing unit. Shared housing is not envisioned as a replacement for existing homeless assistance tools; rather, an expansion of shared housing, coupled with maintained or increased resources for short-, medium-, and long-term rental assistance and case management, would allow providers to stabilize more homeless households. Shared housing should not be confused with “doubled up” or “couch surfing”; shared housing is permanent housing with a lease. Shared housing can be used as a diversion method.
Examples of shared housing include: having roommates, living with your mother, college dorms, seniors living together, live-in care assistants, transition age youth, nannies, etc.
- CCEH Shared Housing Training
CCEH occasionally holds a Shared Housing training by Iain De Jong from Org Code. Check the upcoming training calendar to see if one is scheduled and email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Shared Housing as a Solution for Single Adults
A 2016 National Alliance to End Homelessness recorded webinar that includes Connecticut’s Cathy Zall as a presenter from the New London Homeless Hospitality Center.
- Ready to Roommate: Presentation, Handouts, The McCarthy Shared Housing Model Handout
The 2015 Annual Training Institute presentation by David E. McCarthy.
- Creating a Shared Home: Promising Approaches for Using Shared Housing to Prevent and End Homelessness in Massachusetts
A 2014 research article by Harvard Kennedy School student, Amanda L. Benton. CCEH’s Executive Director Lisa Tepper Bates was interviewed for this article.
- Is Shared Housing a Way to Reduce Homelessness? The Effect of Household Arrangements on Formerly Homeless People
A 2008 Columbia University discussion paper.
- Shared Housing for Veterans
A U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs: Supportive Services for Veteran Families Program article explaining the benefits of using shared housing for homeless veterans.
- Shared Housing Key Points
Key Points about shared housing adapted by CCEH from Iain De Jong’s shared housing training.
- Rapid Re-Housing for Youth – Shared Housing Overview
National Alliance to End Homelessness
- Roommate Decision Tool
Developed by Advocates for Human Potential, Inc.
- Roommate/Shared Housing Agreement Example
Developed by Friendship Place in Washington DC.
- Shared Housing Roommate Survey
Developed by Columbus House RRH Case Manager Patrick Ferrero.
- Roommate Finder Websites
Please use your discretion when using these online resources. There are many others websites out there.